The Board of Education met September 25 for its regular meeting. Here is a summary.
- High School Principal Mr. Heckman and Assistant Principal Mrs. Martyn presented on engaging students through curriculum and connections and its positive impact on student attendance. Mr. Heckman discussed the importance of creating a positive school environment where students want to come to school. Mrs. Martyn shared ways the High School is working to do that including offering electives students are interested in, building connections with students and families, and creating a sense of belonging at school. The presentation is available here.
- Grade 6 Teacher Meghan Davis was approved for tenure. Congratulations!
- The Board approved an agreement involving a class action lawsuit against the JUUL Tobacco Corporation for purposely marketing vaping products to underage students. The agreement for the class action lawsuit, which Schalmont and other districts participated in at no charge, allows the district to receive a small portion of the settlement.
- Board members thanked the community for its wonderful support of Schalmont schools, from volunteering for organizations such as the PTO to the great support for student-athletes at athletic events. It is one of the things that makes Schalmont special, Board members said.
- The next Board of Education meeting will be Tuesday, October 10 at 7:00 p.m.