The Schalmont Board of Education is made up of seven non-paid district residents elected to serve overlapping terms of three years each.
The Board’s powers and duties are derived from the State Constitution, the laws of New York State and the rulings of the New York State Commissioner of Education.
The Board generally meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month. Exceptions are made to avoid conflicts with religious holidays, state and national conferences or extended recess periods.
Roles & Responsibilities
Boards of Education have the following roles and responsibilies:
- Establishing district policies,
- Developing an annual budget for public approval,
- Approving or disapproving the superintendent’s recommendations on personnel matters and contracts,
- Acting as a communication link between residents and the superintendent.
- Other duties include defining the district’s philosophy, setting goals to achieve academic objectives, planning for future needs and authorizing certain contracts.
How to Run for the Board of Education
Community members interested in running for the Board of Education can contact the District Office at 518-355-9200 ext. 4002 for a nominating petition or download a nominating petition packet here. The deadline to submit a petition to the District Office is Monday, April 17, 2023 by 4:00 p.m.