The Schalmont Central School District is committed to the belief that an effective school program can only be accomplished by nurturing a partnership between the schools and the community.
Decisions made by your elected school board affect the education of our children and, therefore, the well-being of this community. Your school board can best represent its constituents when members of the community take the time to observe the board in action, express their opinions, ask questions, and communicate their wishes in the public setting.
Your continued interest and support will guarantee the excellence of our schools.
Running for Board of Education
The deadline to run for the Board of Education is Monday, April 19, 2021 by 4:00 p.m. A petition and expenditure forms is available here.
The Board of Education’s Role
The Schalmont Board of Education is made up of seven non-paid citizens elected to serve overlapping terms of three years each.
Board elections are held each year on the third Tuesday in May. Polls are open from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the High School new gym foyer.
New York State law does not limit the number of terms a board member may serve. The school board’s powers and duties are derived from the State Constitution, the laws of New York State and the rulings of the New York State Commissioner of Education.
The school board generally meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month. Exceptions are made to avoid conflicts with religious holidays, state and national conferences or extended recess periods.
Roles & Responsibilities of the Board
- Establishing district policies,
- Developing an annual budget for public approval,
- Approving or disapproving the superintendent’s recommendations on personnel matters and contracts,
- Reviewing courses of study and textbooks, and
- Acting as a communication link between residents and the superintendent.
- Other duties include defining the district’s philosophy, setting goals to achieve academic objectives, planning for future needs, and authorizing certain contracts.
Contact the Board of Education
To contact the Board of Education, please email email@example.com.