To help families during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created the following helpful resources.
In support of this endeavor, our district has collaborated with Capital Region BOCES and its 23 other component school districts to curate and/or develop high-quality, standards-based lessons and resources focused on the most essential curriculum for our students in K-8 ELA and math, middle-level science and social studies, and Regents courses. The concepts and lessons provided are those that are foundational to students’ future learning. We will be using these resources in our district as a springboard for our teachers to customize their own lessons with their students as appropriate.
Recommended Time Allocations
- Expectations for student at-home learning time should not exceed the recommendations listed below. Note that student at-home learning time includes time spent learning new material, watching video lessons, participating in class chats/hangouts, and completing assigned work and activities. Additional optional resources may be provided.
- K-2: 2.5 hours total each week for ELA and math, with an additional hour each week for learning in other disciplines (3.5 hours/week total)
- Gr. 3-5: 4 hours total each week for ELA and math, with an additional hour each week for learning in other disciplines (5 hours/week total)
- Gr. 6-8: 2 hours per week for each: ELA, math, science, and social studies; 2 hours each per week for all other subject areas (10 hours/week total)
- Gr. 9-12: 3 hours per week for each credit-bearing course (24 hours/week total)
- Support services such as ENL and special education will be provided in addition to these time guidelines to the extent practicable per individual student plans
Information Regarding NYS Regents
Logging into your Schalmont Student Schoology Account
- Login in to your Google account in your Chrome Browser * or school Chromebook
- Open Chrome Browser
- Type schalmont.schoology.com in the URL window at the top of the page
- Verify your Google account when it prompts you
- Add a bookmark/favorite for Schoology
* While browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox may work, some features in Google and Schoology simply operate better in the Chrome browser; Google Chrome is a free download.
Logging in to your Schalmont Student Google Account
- Go to https://www.google.com/ in your Chrome Browser
- Click “log in”
- Enter your username which should look like this:
- Enter your password or the “default” password if it’s your first time
- Teachers should email me if they do not know the “default” password.
- While browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox may work, some features in Google and Schoology work better in the Chrome browser; Chrome is a free download.
- Email John George (email@example.com) if you have any issues with a student logging in to Schoology or Google
- The Schalmont Schools Help Desk is going to be available for your support needs! Parents or students who are experiencing technical issues please use the Help Desk. Call 518-355-9200 x3099 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Some common trouble tips for students are available on the Help Desk site at https://sites.google.com/schalmont.net/helpdesk/welcome-page.
The Parent Portal provides registered parents/guardians with access to their particular students’ attendance information by period, schedule, report card grades, progress reports, and more.Learn how to access and register for Parent Portal.
Technology Help Desk
While students are familiar with our Chromebooks these district-provided devices are not the only technology devices available. In fact, students may use the Chrome browser on their home computers. Help using a home computer can be found here.
Please know that in order to resolve technical issues in a timely manner we need to speak with the user (parent/student) directly. Therefore, please direct all parent/guardian/student concerns with a students district provided device to the Help Desk (email email@example.com or call 518-355-9200 x3099 and leave a message). We will return the call/email and communicate directly with the parent/student and coordinate whatever support we can offer.
Our team continues to work extended hours in order to provide timely support. Device resources are running low. However, whenever possible, our team will work from a variety of possible workarounds.
Tech Tips and Tutorials for Parents, Students and Teachers
General Education Resources
Daily Schedule for Remote Learning
150 Activities for Parents to do at home.
Fun At Home – Breakout EDU
16 Free Resources For Schools Who are Closing
Non-Tech Home Learning Activities
K-4 Jefferson Elementary Tech Page
E-Books and Audio Books
VR Field Trips
Scholastic Free Learning
PBS Educational Series on TV — You can find standard aligned lesson plan materials here: https://ny.pbslearningmediaorg/
The “TV Classroom” network is now available, weekdays from 8 a.m.—5 p.m. on WCNY’s GLOBAL CONNECT channel. GLOBAL CONNECT is on 24.3 with an antenna, 1276 on Spectrum Digital, and 467 on FiOS. Regular programming pre-empted. Classes will also be simulcast from wcny.org and available on demand at wcny.org/tvclassroom.
View the “TV Classroom” network schedule: View Schedule
Eureka Math Resources:
Grade K: https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledge-for-grade-k
Grade 1: https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledge-for-grade-1
Grade 2: https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledge-for-grade-2
Grade 3: https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledge-for-grade-3
Grade 4: https://gm.greatminds.org/en-us/knowledge-for-grade-4
Physical Education Resources
Art Education Resources
Anxiety TED Talk
Managing Anxiety regarding Coronavirus
Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus
Continuing Talk about COVID-19
High School Study Skills