To help answer questions our community may have about the reopening of school during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have centralized updates and resources on this webpage. Please check back regularly for the latest information.
Please know our top priorities remain the health and safety of our students and staff and the academic and social emotional needs of our students.
COVID-19 Health Checks for Students
In an effort to ensure an organized system for families to attest to their child’s health, all students will be given a scan-able ID card and families will be emailed a form to attest to their student’s health. Read more here.
Parent Letter If Child Has COVID-19 Symptoms
Our school nurses have put together a letter explaining what to do if your child has COVID-19 symptoms. Read the letter here.
Schalmont CSD’s Reopening Plan, which provides details about health and safety procedures, instruction, transportation and more, is available here. This plan was submitted to New York State.
Information about COVID-19 contact tracing is available here.
Remote Learning Plan
The district’s Remote Learning Plan is available here.
NYS COVID-19 Report Card
The public can check any reported positive cases of COVID-19 with the NYS Health Department’s COVID-19 Report Card Dashboard, available here.
COVID-19 Testing Sites
Here is a list of some local COVID-19 Testing Sites
- NYSDOH (SUNY Albany) – Call to schedule an appointment: 888-364-3065, drive through car required, insurance not needed, ages 3 and over.
- Wellnow Urgent Care (Balltown Road) – 518-387-3566, Insurance needed, two and over only
- CVS, 855 Central Avenue: Schedule an apt at www.cvs.com, drive through, car required, insurance not needed. ID required, 18 and over only.
- RiteAid on Central Avenue/Route 155: Schedule an appointment at www.riteaid.com, drive through, car required, insurance not needed. ID required, 18 and over only.
- Community Care: Latham Urgent care. Need to be a CCP patient.
- Mobile Testing Schenectady: All Ages, No Cost COVID-19 Testing. FYI: uses the less invasive nasal swab. Appointments Strongly Encouraged. Call to Register at 518-419-0370
- Testing Sites for October:
- Mondays: 10/5, 10/12, 10/19, 10/26 Location: Summit Towers, 720 Albany Street, Schenectady, NY 12307. Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 10/1, 10/8, 10/15,10/22, 10/29 Location: SUNY Schenectady, West Parking Lot, 78 Washington Avenue, Schenectady, NY 12305. Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Weather Permitting, please visit: www.schenectadycounty.com/publichealth for cancellation information
Free Schools Meals Program Extended by USDA
The USDA is providing grant funding to all public school districts, including Schalmont, to cover the cost of meals for students through December 31, or until the funding runs out. This includes breakfast and lunch, either at school or remote students. Read more here.
Best Practices to Stay Healthy
To help us keep our schools as healthy and safe as possible, please remind your children to follow these guidelines
- Practice social distancing by remaining six feet from others.
- Wear a mask except whenever possible.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, using soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or flexed elbow, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are ill.
Reported COVID Case Appears to Be in Error
On September 24, Schalmont administrators were notified that the New York State School COVID-19 Dashboard indicates a positive case has been reported within the district. However, at this time the district is not aware of any students or staff members who have tested positive for COVID-19. Read more here.