Hello Schalmont High School,
Below are several reminders of current building procedures as well as some additions to our current protocols. These procedures and protocols will be fully implemented on Monday, March 27. Your teachers will be reviewing these procedures with you in class.
These guidelines and protocols are intended to help create a safe and secure school environment that is conducive to learning while minimizing potential disruptions. Creating a safe and disruptive free learning environment is all of our responsibility. This can only be established and maintained if we work together to ensure these guidelines are being followed consistently.
Hall Passes and Classroom Sign-Out
- Students must have a hall pass in order to leave class.
- Students should sign out of class and sign in upon their return.
- Only one student at a time should leave class.
- First 10, Last 10
- Students should remain in class during the first 10 minutes of the period and the last 10 minutes of the period.
Study Hall and Cafeteria
- Students must have a pre-signed hall pass in order to leave the cafeteria during lunch to work with a teacher.
- Students must have a pre-signed hall pass in order to leave study hall to work with a teacher.
- Students cannot leave study hall to go to the cafeteria or library.
- Students who need accommodations during lunch (alternate location) should speak with their school counselor.
Student Commons and Main Lobby
- The Commons is open during lunch periods 6-7, for seniors only to use during lunch.
- Students cannot leave study hall to go to the Student Commons.
- The Main Lobby area is not to be used during class time or lunch periods.
Late to Class
- Tardy 1 – Teacher speaks with student and documents the incident.
- Tardy 2 – Teacher speaks with student, documents the incident and contacts the family.
- Tardy 3 – Teacher speaks with student, contacts the family and submits a behavioral referral including all three tardies and family communication. Student is assigned after school detention.
- All tardies thereafter are referred to the office with progressive discipline being implemented.
- Tardies are reset at the beginning of the next quarter.
Classroom Cell Phone Expectation
- When the bell rings to start class, your phone should be in your bag or pocket (or hanging pocket organizer).
- If you need to use your phone to contact a parent/guardian, please ask for permission.
Unauthorized Use of Cell Phone in Class
- 1st Offense – Phone is turned over to the teacher for the remainder of class. Parent/guardian is contacted. A referral is submitted as documentation.
- 2nd Offense – Phone is turned over to the teacher. Phone is brought to the office for the remainder of the day. Parent/guardian is contacted, a referral is submitted, and student is assigned after school detention.
- 3rd Offense – Phone is turned over to teacher. Phone is brought to the office for the remainder of the day. Parent/guardian is contacted, a referral is submitted, student is assigned two detentions, and the parent/guardian must pick up your phone.
- Cell phones may be used at times for instructional purposes with teacher permission, however, Chromebooks will be the primary device being used in class.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Schalmont High School Principal