Phone: 518-355-6110 ext. 3047
Meet Your Counselors
Each student at Schalmont High School is assigned a counselor to help them navigate challenges and pave the way to graduation. Find your counselor.
- College Board Virtual College Fair – April 18 and April 29 – Register here
- SUNY Virtual College Fair – April 22, 24 and May 22 – Register here
- Virtual Awards Ceremony – June 3
Mental Health Resources
School Counselors have put together this webpage with information about mental health resources for our families. If you ever have an immediate question or concern, please make sure to reach out to your child’s school counselor.
Scholarships and Financial Aid Information
These links to resources are provided to help families through the process of figuring out how to pay for college. In many situations, this requires a combination of financial aid and scholarships.
- Student Guide for Financial Aid (Department of Education)
- Completing the FAFSA Form (FAFSA forms to download and complete online)
- Guide to Federal Student Aid
- Student Loan Finder (eStudentLoan)
- Understanding Student Loans (NYS Attorney General’s Office)
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
- Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC)
- Sallie Mae Loan Information
- Estimate Eligibility for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA4Caster)
- Scholarship Resources
- College Board (Database of scholarship sources, profile registration and application, calculators, worksheets, etc.)
- FinAid (Information on scholarships, financial aid, calculators, loan calculators, etc.)
New York State Excelsior Scholarship
The New York State Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. Read more.
New York State Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program
New York State’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program encourages the best and brightest high school students to pursue high-demand, high-tech careers and build their future in New York. The program provides a full SUNY or CUNY tuition scholarship to the top 10% of students in every New York high school if they major in a STEM field and work in a STEM job in New York State for five years after graduation. Read more.
McCormick & Murphy Personal Injury Scholarship
This scholarship is available to all high school seniors and current college students who are planning on entering the law field. Deadline is April 30, 2021. Read more.
Berkshire Bank NeXt Gen Scholarship Program
Program provides scholarships to students who have exemplified community service through their volunteer efforts, have been successful academically and have a financial need. Read more.
University at Albany Competitive Awards
University at Albany has opportunities for first-time freshmen for College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Great Dane Teacher Program. Read more.
Ladies of Rotterdam Elks Auxiliary
The Ladies of Rotterdam Elks (LORE) Auxiliary would like to present a scholarship to seniors who attend Schalmont High School whose mother or grandmothers are current auxiliary members. The Scholarship forms are available starting in January at the monthly meetings for the LORE to provide to their children or grandchildren.
American Indian Graduate Center
American Indian Graduate Center provides up to $30,000 in scholarships per student per year and supports Native students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in the United States. Read more.
Burnt Hills Oratorio Society Vocal Scholarship Competition
The Burnt Hills Oratorio Society will award two scholarships and the opportunity to perform in one of their concerts. Deadline is May 14, 2021. Application and additional information available here.
First New York Federal Credit Union
The First New York Federal Credit Union offers four $1,000 scholarships. Deadline is May 7, 2021. Application with details available here.
CAP Com Federal Credit Union offers a number of scholarships. Deadline is April 30, 2021. More information here.
The Rotterdam PBA offers a scholarship for seniors. Applications available in the Guidance Center. Students must write a 200-500 word essay on “Who you are, what your future plans are, what would you use the scholarship for and why do you think you deserve the scholarship.” Deadline is May 7, 2021.
SEFCU offers a number of scholarships for high school seniors. More information on their website.
New Comer Cremations & Funerals
New Comer Cremations & Funerals offers a scholarship to high school students entering a mortuary science program. More information on their website.
Career Exploration Links and Resources
- Exploring Occupations
- Hudson Valley Community College Center for Careers and Employment
- New York Mentor
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Career Zone
- Career Key
- My Majors
- Student Opt-Out Form for Release of Information to Military and Colleges
- Parent Opt-Out Form for Release of Information to Military and Colleges
- Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) Information
- Selective Service Information