Register a New Student
Children who will become 5 years or older on or before Dec. 1, 2015, are eligible to start kindergarten in September 2020.
All kindergarten students attend a full-day program at Jefferson Elementary School.
Kindergarten registration packets will be mailed in January to the families of students in the district’s census who are eligible to attend kindergarten during the following school year.
Please contact Mrs. Pray as soon as possible at 518-355-1342, ext. 5080, to make sure you are on the mailing list. Copies of the necessary forms are also available as PDFs in the sidebar.
- Kindergarten Registration 2020-21:
Dear Incoming Kindergarten Parents,
September is right around the corner. Children who will be 5 years or older on or before December 1, 2020, are eligible to start kindergarten in September 2020.
Due to the Governor’s order extending school closures through the remainder of the academic year, Kindergarten screening that was initially planned for the week of May 11-18, 2020 has been canceled.
Please stay tuned for information as we explore a variety of options to hold Kindergarten screening, including the possibility of conducting it over the summer months.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate our way through this unprecedented time. If you have any questions or need information please contact Jefferson Principal Joby Gifford at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not yet received a kindergarten registration packet. You may download one from our website: www.schalmont.org. The direct link is as follows, https://www.schalmont.org/departments-services/register-for-school/.
In the event you need a registration packet mailed to you, please contact Mr. Gifford or Mrs. Gordon at the following email addresses:
Mr. Gifford(Principal) email@example.com
Mrs. Gordon(Assistant Principal)firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed Kindergarten packets may be mailed to:
Schalmont Central School District
4 Sabre Drive
Schenectady, NY 12306
Thank you for your attention to this notification. Please feel free to email us with any questions. We look forward to meeting your children!
View the sidebar for downloadable registration forms, including the packet required to register at Schalmont Central School District.
The first two pages of the form should be completed and provided during the initial registration appointment. Afterward, new residents have three business days to complete and return the remainder of the registration packet. You are also welcome to submit the form and packet together at the initial appointment.
If you have any accessibility issues filling out the packet below, please contact the appropriate school’s main office for assistance at the number listed on this page.
Proof of Residency
In addition to the required registration forms, please be prepared to provide the following documentation to determine residency at the time of registration.
TWO Acceptable Proofs of Residency – Please note PO boxes are not acceptable.
- Existing home – proof of ownership of residential property within the district, such as a deed or mortgage statement or copy of school tax bill.
- New home – copy of sales/building contract including proof of closing date plus photography of new home. If not living in home when registering, a Certificate of Occupancy is to be provided within 90 days. Transportation during transition is the responsibility of the homeowner.
- Signed residential lease agreement for property within the District
- Family Living with Family:
- Sworn and notarized statement from a landlord or other property owner that family resides with.
- Foster Children
- A district may also accept other proof such as documentation indicating that the child resides with a sponsor with whom the child has been placed by an agency. Please provide evidence from Department of Social Services, a written statement from the foster parents and form LDSS 2999.
Additional proofs of residency for consideration include:
- Pay stub
- Income tax form
- Utility or other bills
- Membership documents based upon residency (e.g. library cards)
- Voter registration documents
- Official driver’s license, learner’s permit or non-driver identification card
- State or other government-issued identification
- Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (local
- Social Services agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement)
- Evidence of custody (e.g. court order, guardianship papers, etc.)
- If you can’t prove the studentâ€™s residency with a family, you may qualify for McKinney Vento status (see student residency questionnaire).
Please be prepared to present the following additional documentation at the time of registration:
- Health records
- Special education information, such as Individualized Education Plan and most recent psychological evaluation (if applicable)
- Custody papers (if parents are separated or divorced)
- A child’s certified birth certificate or certified baptism records. If neither are available, school officials may consider the following as evidence of a child’s age:
- Official driver’s license
- Government-issued identification
- School Photo ID with Birthdate
- Consulate ID with Birthdate
- Hospital or Health Records with Birthdate
- Other government issued documents showing age, including court orders and custody papers (e.g. military dependent ID card)
- Records from non-profit international aid agencies
The District reserves the right to require verification of any documentation provided. However, enrollment will not be delayed during the verification process. All children between the ages of six and 21 who have not yet graduated from high school and who are residents of the Schalmont Central School District have a right to attend our schools.
If it is verified by the School Resource Officer that any registration documents have been falsified, written notice will be provided to the parent/guardian stating that the child is not entitled to attend our schools.