You are entitled to vote if you are a U.S. citizen, 18 years or older, and have been a district resident for at least 30 days prior to the vote. No pre-registration is required. Personal identification/proof of residency is required (e.g. driver’s license with current address, utility bill showing name and current address).
The next vote will be held on Tuesday, May 19, 2020, from 6 a.m. -9 p.m. in the Schalmont High School New Gym Lobby, 1 Sabre Drive, Schenectady.
Absentee ballots are available to registered voters who will not be in the district on the day of the budget vote for specific reasons.
An absentee ballot application must be submitted at least seven days before the budget vote. After the district clerk receives your application for an absentee ballot, you will be given the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote.
Absentee ballots are available if you are:
- Unable to vote in person because of illness.
- Planning to be out of the area on vacation or business.
- Confined to prison due to conviction of an offense other than a felony.
- Accompanying a spouse, parent or child of the same residence who can’t come to the polls for one of the above reasons.
How do I get an absentee ballot?
Please be aware that there is a two-step process to receive an absentee ballot.
Step 1: Fill out an application for an absentee ballot to confirm why you will not be able to vote in person.
There are three ways to fill out the application:
- You can download and print the application for an absentee ballot (PDF).
- You can call Call 355-9200, x4002 and ask to have it mailed to you.
- You can visit the district office at 4 Sabre Dr., Schenectady between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to fill it out in person or have someone assist you in filling out the form.
Step 2: Fill out the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote.
After you fill out and submit the application for an absentee ballot to the district office, you will receive the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote. The absentee ballot must be received by the district clerk by 5 p.m. on the day of the budget vote.
It is important to remember that if you want your absentee ballot mailed to you, all applications for absentee ballots MUST be received by the district clerk at least seven days prior to the vote. We are governed by law and there is no exception to this rule. If you plan on having it mailed to you, be sure to give yourself extra time when making the request to the district clerk, so that you have enough time to fill it out and get it back to the district clerk seven days before the vote.
To return an application by mail, send it to:
Schalmont Central School District Office
4 Sabre Drive
Schenectady, NY 12306
Absentee ballots will be counted only if they are returned no later than 5 p.m. on election day.
For more information, call 518-355-9200, x4002.