A note regarding the Re-Opening Process

Dear Schalmont Families and Community Stakeholders, 

I hope you are all enjoying a well-deserved summer recess, many of you, like myself, are anxiously awaiting news on the reopening of Schalmont.

I want to reassure families that we have been working with our regional BOCES to plan for a variety of scenarios for the fall, depending on where we are with the COVID-19 pandemic. Please know that the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our top priority.

Schools are awaiting reopening guidance from New York State, which is expected on July 13th. Upon receipt, we will continue with our planning, communicating our plans, and soliciting community feedback as needed. 

School districts will have to submit reopening plans to the state by July 31, with Governor Andrew Cuomo announcing a decision on the reopening of schools during the week of August 1.

I understand families will have questions and apprehensions about returning to school in the fall and we will make sure to communicate throughout the summer to give you answers as soon as we can. Again, please know that nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of your children, and when a full plan with all logistics is developed, you will be the first to know.  If you have specific questions or concerns or suggestions, please know you can always reach out to me at treardon@schalmont.net.

With Gratitude,


Thomas Reardon


Schalmont Central School District

Download the letter here: REOpening Comms 1